Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My inspiration for becoming a teacher

I did not always want to become a teacher. There was a day when I had no idea what I wanted to do and college seemed a long way away. But luckily for me my father motivated me to want and do better for myself. My dad is a carpenter/construction work and he has been for over 25 years. My dad needed some help with some side jobs and asked if I would be willing to help. Naturally I said yes, but I quickly found out that I wished I hadn't. Working construction was very tough manual labor and by the end of day 1 I was exhausted and sore. As the days rolled on I wondered exactly why my dad had asked me to help him with these jobs. He had been working side jobs for a long time and never asked me to help before. So, I decided one day to ask him exactly why I was there. My dad turned to me and said "I don't want you to be doing what I am 15 years from now. As soon as he said that it hit me that I needed to change my ways. I could no longer coast through school doing enough to get by and expect to get where I wanted to in life. I knew that I need to work hard and take what I wanted. The things I wanted, like a good job, would not be handed to me. When the time came to apply to college, I applied to Cortland, Brockport, Oswego and Buffalo State. Even though I applied to 4 different schools, I knew where I wanted to go. I wanted to go to Cortland and nowhere else. So, when the day came to open that letter and see what colleges I was accepted to, I was saddened to see that I did not get accepted to Cortland, Brockport or Oswego. That day I decided that even though I was trying hard, I was not doing everything I could do. So, I enrolled at Onondaga Community College and ended up staying there for 2 years. In my third semester at OCC, I took activity planning. The class was about learning basic teaching skills and actually teaching small portions of lessons. The class was the reason I wanted to become a teacher and teach for a living. But, my father is the reason I am here writing this blog and achieving my goals. Thanks dad for making me work construction, I will never do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment