(First design of a parachute)
1. Find information on the history of the parachute and how a parachute works. The oldest design for the parachute appeared in an manuscript during the 1470's from an unknown source. Leonardo Da Vinci later designed a more sophisticated design in his Codex Atlanticus in 1485. Da Vinci's design was tested in 2000 and 2008 and was shown to be successful during both tests. Parachutes work using the concept of air resistance. Without air resistance, gravity would cause all objects to fall at the same rate meaning a feather and an elephant would fall at the same exact speed even though an elephant is significantly heaving than a feather, if dropped at the same height. Even though you cannot see them atoms and molecules take up space in the air. So when sky diving you have to push those molecules and atoms out of the way which causes air resistance. Some objects like rocks fall easily because they are generally pretty heavy for their size. Something like a feather would not fall as fast as the rock because the feather is much lighter and therefore does not cut through the air as easily. For that reason, the feather is slowed down by the air and a parachute works the exact same way.
2. Create a parachute routine compose of various activities learned in class.
1. Introduce the parachute and talk about the origins.
2. Take about how to handle the parachute appropriately because it is so expensive and could break easily.
3. Practice how to do different things like ripple, wave and storm while sitting on the floor. The students need to know how to do the different movements so that the parachute does not come under any harm.
5. Headless Horseman- Incorporate different subjects like math,science, english, etc. so you can teach the students information instead of using the parachute as an extended recess.
6. Cook a healthy soup- this can help show the students which foods are healthy to eat and which are not.
8. Moon Walking- make sure students have their shoes off.
9. The black hole- use a ball big enough to not fall into the center hole.
10. Air conditioning
11. Roll up the parachute- make sure to teach the students how to properly roll up the parachute into the snake like roll.
3. Practice the yoga routine for a week and keep a journal of how you feel.
4. Use stick figures/pictures to diagram each pose in the Salute to the sun yoga routine.