Monday, February 20, 2012

EDU 355 Lab 15

1. Reflect upon your lab teaching experience. Describe your teaching strengths and weaknesses for teaching in this lab. My strengths for this lab were that I believe I had a good lesson focus and stuck to it throughout the lesson. My lesson focus was fitness and I centered the lesson around the heart. I had the students take their pulse at the end of the class, had them show me where there heart is and what sound it makes at the beginning and end of the lesson. My weakness for this lab was lack of quality preparation. I could not decide exactly what I wanted to do so I was going back and forth between different ideas. Also, in the midst of changing/deciding on ideas I got caught up and forget to say my name in the beginning of the lesson. I do not know how I forgot this part but I did and I was not happy about it. Another weakness I had was I did not have enough activities prepared for actually teaching. I had more on my lesson plan but I overestimated how long each of my activities would take. I understand why you need so many different activities for each and every class. An activity may not take as long as you anticipated and that may throw you off while teaching. You do not want to get caught off guard and have to think on your feet because you did not come well prepared. Finally, I need to work on my elementary voice. My overall voice and tone are not necessarily what a teacher at the elementary level is going to need so I definitely need to work on that. 

2. Identify one of your most effective teachers. What teaching behaviors did you admire most in the way he/she taught? One of my most effective teachers I have ever had was Dr. Malmberg here at Cortland. Beofre coming to Cortland I had heard of teachers with a lot of energy and enthusiasm for what they do, but Dr. Malmberg has more energy and enthusiasm than any teacher I have ever had. Every class, even at 8:30 in the morning, he was prepared and enthusiastic the entire time. Dr. Malmberg in my opinion is a master of progressions. Before taking gymnastics with him I had never been able to do a cartwheel. After 30 minutes of 9 different progressions I was able to do a cartwheel. It amazed me that for 20 years I had never done a cartwheel, yet in 30 minutes Dr. Malmberg was able to teach me how to do one. I think progressions are one of the most important tools for a phys ed teacher. Not every student will be at the same level or learn at the same level or in the same way. Having 9 different progressions for one skill is impressive and can come in handy when you need it. Another thing about Dr. Malmberg is that he truly loves what he does and is willing to do whatever he has to do to help out his students. Whenever a student was struggling with a skill in gymnastics or self defense, Dr.Malmberg always was patient with the students and tried to find any way to help that student improve. Also, Dr.Malmberg is in fantastic shape. Even though he is quite a bit older than any of the students in the class, he still showed everyone in our gymnastics class up. From doing handstands on the rings to doing handstands and still talking and teaching at the same time, he never struggled with any skills. I know he was training for a half marathon and hoping to do a full marathon at some point. The man is just in phenomenal shape and puts us college kids to shame. I hope that 20 or 30 years from now I still have as much energy and enthusiasm as Dr. Malmberg.

3. What goals will you set for yourself as you prepare to teach in the education 300 Field Experience. I need to practice working around elementary level students. I had never envisioned myself teaching at the elementary level, but I recognize that one day I may get offered a job teaching in an elementary school. Also, I was not as prepared for this teaching experience as I have for other teaching experiences. I had a lot of things happening in my life this weekend personally, but there is no excuse for coming unprepared and performing well below what I expect of myself. I need to practice what I am going to be teaching ahead of time and plan enough activities that will last an entire class and teach my students at the same time. My main goal is to continue to learn as much as I can and improve my teaching skills and become the best teacher I can be. Nobody strives to be the least they can be, and I want to be the best possible teacher that I can be.

1 comment:

  1. great goals Tom and I admire your in depth reflections! You are becoming a reflective teacher!

    ReplyDelete