Sunday, January 29, 2012

Different Ways of Learning

Did you know that all people do not learn the same? Did you know that different people learn better is different environments? I know that I do not learn well when there is loud music blaring and a lot of people talking. I prefer a fairly quiet environment that does not involve a lot of distractions. I believe there are a lot of people in the world that learn similar to the way I do, but I know that there are many who do not. As educators, it is important to acknowledge that there are different learning styles and learn to recognize and teach according to the different types of learning styles. The first type of learning style is cognitive. People have different ways of remembering and learning information. Some can just read their textbook and remember the information while others make flash cards and go through them over and over. The second type of learning style if the affective style. Motivation plays a big part in the affective style. How motivated a student is can make a huge different in the success of that particular student, but may not effect another student very much at all. Attitudes, values and emotions also are included in the affective domain. The third learning style is physiology. Physiology takes into account different things that can occur in the body and their effects on the person. For example, if you are tired and hungry you will be less likely to do well that a well rested student. Some students learn better in the day, while others do better deep into the night.

What I am really getting at here is that not everyone will learn the same. One student may learn better very early in the morning, while their best friend works best at midnight into the early morning. Every person is unique in the way they learn and the environment they feel most comfortable learning in. As a future educator, it is my job to adapt my lessons to fit my students and provide them with the best possible atmosphere for learning. It will be difficult to make my teaching fit all of my students, but since when has anything great been easy? Some of the best things in life take hard work and teaching is one of those things that takes hard work to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment